Thursday 17 January 2008

Where to Find Tango Music

While trying to work out how I could buy a piece of music I liked, I've just found milonga.co.uk, which is outstanding. Which CD to buy, why, and whether you can actually get it or not, from someone who's listened to them, is exactly what I needed, and he does it really well.

He does seem to have some to sell, although somewhat reluctantly - you have to look at "FAQ" to even find out how it might be possible to buy one. I was clicking away on the pictures, on the point of assuming that the website just wasn't working. No zShops, no Ebay, no service-provder shopping basket, no ecommerce at all. A bit more work from me is order before I reach the rather extreme conclusion that it might be necessary to email someone my address, engage in correspondence, and post a cheque, of all things. I think I last saw my chequebook in the year 2000.

[Correction: another look and a click on what I first assumed to be an advertisement for a milonga shows that you can join a club and set up a standing order. I think this is a pretty good deal and I'll consider it, but I am not a big music buyer, and one CD a month would be a lot for me.]

A bit more digging shows that the one I want is available for purchase as an authorised, high-quality, DRM-less download - and even as individual tracks. It's not nearly as well-designed as the Finnish version which I found first, and the previews don't work (the Finnish ones do), but it will probably do the job.

2 comments:

koolricky said...

Hi ms hedgehog, milonga.co.uk is owned by Michael Lavocah, from Bristol. It is a homeish business but his expertise in tango music (he is one of the most knowleadgeable people in the UK about the music) makes up for it. His club (£9.99 + free cd frmo a choice of four) is a good option and if you email him he can suggest you how to build up your library. He is a very nice guy!

msHedgehog said...

I agree it's a really excellent site and his information is so useful. I just wish he was using Amazon zShops or something, so I could do impulse shopping.