Thursday 1 July 2010

Fun music thing to do at a practica

I discovered this accidentally with a friend and practice partner. I was in the off-floor bar area at a milonga, and I had in one hand about the remaining half of a large alcoholic drink.

A milonga came on that I know well and like a lot, but no partner happened to be in sight except a friend who clearly wanted a rest, and I didn't care to abandon my drink in the absence of someone reliable.

So I started dancing around all by myself, stepping and occasionally twirling with my own interpretation of the music.

After a moment, my friend started stepping with me; effectively, following me from a few feet away. As far as I remember we did this for most of a couple of milongas, just dancing around in the bar, with me drinking my drink.

It's often said that women can learn a lot about what's inside the music by following people who know it well, but men rarely have that opportunity. This way, he could follow me without me having to be able to lead or him having to use anything but the most basic concept of following.

Once we had finished fooling around I went back inside and forgot all about it, but he reckons he got a lot out of it. So much so that he went off and persuaded his regular teacher to do the same thing. I don't know if that's why, but I feel his dance has got dramatically more musical a few weeks later. I suppose it's just listening together with someone who hears more, and the fact that you're moving your whole body as well makes it more effective.

Anyway it's fun to do, especially with a large drink. Maybe lots of people do this, but I'd never seen it done.

3 comments:

Andreas said...

Henceforth, we shall call this the Hedgehog exercise.

msHedgehog said...

What did you call it before?

Andreas said...

Fooling around with a drink in hand? ;-)