Thursday 21 November 2013

Me and Charles Darwin look at Streets

The almost-perfectly regular grid pattern, give or take a few forks and mergers, is still there. The streets and the pavements are wide. One consequence is that a corner is a more planned and deliberate thing than it is at home, and there is a particular style of unofficial embellishment which appears on many of them:

Corner embellishments
Similar symbols appeared above the corner shop near the house I stayed in, and above many other corner businesses. I don't know what they mean. The photo above also happens to include the only Ginger person I saw during my stay.

My first impression, in the taxi from the airport, was that the city had been dropped in an enormous park.
This doesn't seem to happen any more.
I can't swear they weren't there. We were probably going too fast.

No comments: