Tuesday 12 October 2010

Hat-Shelled Crab

Here is the thing I've been knitting. I got to deliver it down on the coast last weekend.

Hat-shelled crab with eyes on and ready to go


It took two balls of yellow and one ball of red, 100% wool superwash. The stuffing, as usual, is the polyester washable stuff they sell in John Lewis.

The two little legs at the back are red because I made eight legs before half-remembering that crabs have ten, and looking it up to check - and I didn't have enough yellow left. But I like them like that, the effect is crab-like. The pincers lock together quite nicely too.

And here he is in action:

Hat-Shelled Crab guarding 2-week old owner from evil spirits

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh heh heh heh heh. I love it when the creature is larger than the baby! Truly an adorable crab.

Anonymous said...

PS. I greatly admire the pincers.

Anonymous said...

oh that is so cute! I want one! (for my child of course)

Mark said...

Ahhh

maya said...

I love bugs & critter soft toys and cannot understand why they are so unappreciated.
Good idea to make a biggie, I like the cuddly/menacing contrast.
It's great !!

msHedgehog said...

@maya, I quite agree - and they are so interesting to make. There is quite a bit of sewing in this one, because there are so many legs, but it doesn't really take long.

Cie said...

Sorry to make such a late addition to the comments, but it looks just as though the crab (still watching over him) is having a gentle pinch of his chubby feet through the quilt!
I am amazed to see it actually, I had no memory of the boy ever sleeping in that moses basket. Twas definitely a "fingers-of-one-hand" number of occurrences.

msHedgehog said...

@Cie - I remember arranging it on purpose like that :) They were so beautiful in that little basket.