Tuesday 27 March 2012

Hah, a small victory (Magalenha)

The Samba Lady pretended, at the end of the class, that she was going to have us do the basic samba step at sprint speed from where the drums come in at 00:45 to the end of Magalenha.



She stopped the music before half way through because too much of the class had dropped out. But I already knew I could do it, because I'd practiced it at home until I could, and that blonde on the left is not going to get the better of me. Hah.

I don't think what I did makes a lot of sense,  musically speaking, and I think the rhythm in this song also has another name, as well as samba, that I can't remember. Most people seem to call it samba, however, and sambaing to it right through at the faster of the two possible speeds is a very good aerobic workout, at least if you remember to breathe, which was why I did it. It's a wonderfully infectious song that keeps you moving pretty much regardless of what you do.

This performance I think is really beautiful:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, memories of dancing samba to this at a Jo'burg ballroom/latin champs festival 1999! Delicious goosebumps thank you!

AJ said...

Thanks for posting.