Thursday 6 October 2011

Great following, and a playlist

I love the following in this. I just love it. I also think the leader's dance is very well suited to allowing the follower to shine.


I've seen them dancing socially a few times. After some reflection, it occurred to me that I should probably stop staring at Claudio and pay more attention to his partner, but it was very, very difficult to do. I can't help thinking of other people I would go out of my way to see dance with Claudio - ideally, socially - rather than the women they usually perform with, but I leave that as an exercise for the interested reader.

This seems to be the website of their club in Venice. While I was hunting around in it, I found this post: 4 modi di ballare Bahia Blanca (four ways of dancing Bahia Blanca), and if you understand Italian then do read the post and the comments as well as watching all four videos in the playlist. I agree with the consensus there - but I found it interesting to try to describe why. The first one (Chicho Frumboli) is an intentional red herring, I think, it's far more interesting to decide which you like best of the others. If I can work out how to nick the playlist I might do it here.

8 comments:

Tangocommuter said...

Great rhythmic dance, unhurried, and a lot of energy. & it's not terribly complex: it's just done really well! Thanks for that.

That's Claudio Ruberti who accompanies Ana Maria Schapira on her teaching tours of Europe, and then goes back to Buenos Aires with her. Wish we could get them to include London in their visits. I think they are in Europe now...

Lynn said...

Claudio's following is delectable, and whilst there's simply no contest for the Bahia Blanca crown, Chicho's jumping sacada deserves its very own rebel yell.

Andreas said...

Always a joy to see those two dance, with others or together, leading or following. Very very good indeed.

msHedgehog said...

@TC: I haven't actually spoken to any of them, so I'm not sure if they do English.
@Lynn: Although 'like' isn't quite the right word, it's my second favourite. I'm calling it Art.
@Andreas: yes.

Anonymous said...

re chicho's jumping sacada ... i can just imagine copycat crimes, blood on the london dancefloors.

chico admits a guilty plea:
http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=35108

Elizabeth Brinton said...

Nice! I love it too!

Elizabeth Brinton said...

As far as the Bahia Blanca dance-off, Mamie/Carlitos by a mile.
E

msHedgehog said...

@Elizabeth - I agree.