Sunday 3 May 2009

Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis

I love the fact that I can listen (on iplayer) to Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis commentating, together, on a snooker world championship semi final. They're friends, they're articulate, intelligent, and as informed as it is possible to be. It's balm to the spirit. And yes - snooker at the top is a really exciting game.

I still remember sitting with my Mum on the sofa in 1985 and watching them hammer it out to the last ball. A great sporting moment.

I'm listening on iPlayer to the last bit of a semi-final, and Taylor is saying, apropos of how good John Higgins is, that he has Davis in his all-time top four.

You'll only be able to get iplayer if your ISP is in the UK.

[Edit: Later in the programme I was watching, someone referred to that night in 1985; apparently my Mum and I were two of the eighteen million people who stayed on their sofas watching until the match ended at 00:19.]

3 comments:

ghost said...

Have you ever tried playing it? The table is surprising large up close...

Pool tables on the other hand ;o)

In a way it reminds me of tango. I like snooker for the extreme skill at doing a few things very well indeed and the traditional way it's carried out. And I like the maverick aspects of Pool for seeing just how maleable the laws of physics really are if you can throw enough ingenuity, cunning, luck and skill at them ...

Jo A said...

We've been using the snooker on BBC2 as a sample video feed instead of a live webcam for a project at work. So far, everyone that sees it comments on the snooker and not the project!

msHedgehog said...

Snooker is great television. That's the deal.